Sunday, May 4, 2008

Vacation in the Florida Keys

Here are a few pics from our vacation. Looks like we had a lot of fun. I'll tell the detailed story at the bottom of this post.

Daddy & Ashlyn at Hawks Cay resort in Duck Key.

My sweeties actually fell asleep side by side. Never thought I'd ever get a picture like this one.

Kaden loved the pool & was swimming everywhere.

Ashlyn was a freak in the water. She kept diving off the steps into the deeper water & didn't care if I was ready to catch her or not.
Ashlyn & daddy in the pool.
Kaden was so excited to paddle. This is the only event he truly wanted to do.
Long story made short. Kaden wanted to go in the "boat". Daddy couldn't keep the kayak from tipping over. So mommy ends up paddling the kids around the lagoon. Not my idea but somehow I got stuck with the exercise.
Ashlyn getting a kick out of feeding the sea gulls.
She was running around smiling & squealing with delight. Looks like some scary movie.

For some reason only known to Ashlyn, she decided to run around chasing the birds with forks. Too bad I didn't think of it earlier. The aggressive birds were freaked out & left. She is truly our wild & crazy girl.


Kaden & Ashlyn spraying daddy in the pirate ship.

So the "real" story is that Vaughn had a 3 day work conference at the resort. We left our place on Sunday at 8:30am and arrived in Miami, FL around 10:00pm. To get to our resort it was a 2 hour drive turned into a 3 hour drive due to a driver that was going about 1 mile per hour under the speed limit, didn't know about the back road & got a little lost. So around 1:00 am we arrived at the resort & Kaden puked all over the car seat as we pulled up. We get checked in, arrive at our hotel room only to find the bed in the middle of the room. We go to clean Kaden off in the tub & discovered there's only a shower. We got situated & went to sleep waking up Monday to Kaden not feeling well. We thought it was motion sickness until it kept going through Tuesday. Tuesday night I brought him to the emergency room while Vaughn was on a boat ride with his work. Scrambling by myself to find a ride to a little hospital south of where we were staying we finally got there & his temp read 102.9. Found out he had a double ear infection from the plane & they gave him a shot of antibiotics. Wednesday Kaden felt a lot better & we went swimming & to a little water park. I got a massage, Vaughn went fishing & then had his last work function. Thursday we laid low, swam a little, had dinner & Kaden continued vomiting. I was calling the Dr's in California because he started throwing up a little blood & hadn't held anything down for over 4 days. They said take him to emergency again. I was there till 4 am getting him an IV of fluids, antibiotics, blood tests & xrays. Turns out he had a UTI and the antibiotics weren't strong enough to kick all 3 infections. Finally on Friday we were able to vacation at the beautiful resort. We had a blast & made the best of our time together. All in all it was great to get away. Vaughn had a great conference & enjoyed his time with the kids. We are extremely happy to be home.

4 comments:

Colette said...

I'm sorry you spent so much time in the hospital and that he was so sick!!! That's miserable for everyone! I hope he's better now!
I'm sure glad it settled down by the end and you had some time to relax and enjoy your surroundings! What a great place to be!! We loved snorkeling the keys- so many fish!!

ammonc said...

I can't believe you even had fun with him being so sick. I didn't know boys could get UTI's. I know, I'm really smart. But, I am glad you finally got to go with Vaughn on a trip. It beats being alone for sure.
Katie

Margi said...

Whew, that was a doozie!! I like spelling doozie...It looked like a lot of fun if you just look at the pictures, right? That's a good idea. Just focus on the happy smiles!!

The Bingham Family said...

Oh my goodness! Poor little guy! I am glad he is better!